9.30.2011

Beijing markets















yummm... sheep penis
















































One of my favorite things about China are the night markets and food stands. Most Chinese people I've met don't enjoy going to clubs or bars(and going to the movies or karaoke can get a bit expensive), so this is an alternative night life which everyone can enjoy. People can just sit down, eat some barbecued fish, pork, beef, lamb, chicken, frog, scorpion, crocodile, dog, cat, snake, crayfish, crab, sea urchin, starfish, worm, etc... and drink some beer or tea. I might be forgetting some of the food you can find at these places, but probably any animal or vegetable imaginable you might be able to find. In Hanzhong a student actually told me about a shop where they sell dog meat and that his mom makes a great dog meat dish. Here in Nanning the food selection is pretty different from Shaanxi, as Nanning has a tropical climate and is near the sea. I tried crocodile at a big food street here in Nanning last week (not bad, like chicken and fish put together if I had to liken it to something). Another student told me she tried rat tail at another food stand near our school... riveting!

No comments: